The Door in the Wall
- What caused Robin to cover his ears and shut his eyes?
- Why would Robin be sent away from his mother and father?
- Where was Robin's father?
- Why must Robin's mother leave?
- Describe Dame Ellen.
- Who is Brother Luke and why does he visit Robin?
- Find London, England and also the Thames River in an atlas.
- How does Marguerite de Angeli describe the month of May?
- What was an almonry?
- What did Robin want to create with the knife and piece of pine?
- Explain how Robin was able to recognize the different brothers as they walked through the corridor.
- How was Robin able to smooth out the rough spots on the cross.
- What was a scriptorium?
- When Robin saw Brother Luke writing and drawing, what request did he make?
- How does Brother Luke explain the origin of the surname Atte-Water? Explain the origin of your own surname.
- Why were the cloisters once more free of strangers?
- Why did Robin throw the wooden cross?
- Why did Robin dictate a letter to the monk?
- Why were the monks forced to do extra duties?
- What was Robin carving for the young girl?
- Why was Robin initially disappointed when the monk took him fishing?
- List a couple of Robin's duties at the church.
- Research the Holy Land.
- Why does Robin make the crutches from oak?
- What news did John-go-in-the-Wynd bring to Robin?
- Pretend that you are Robin. Write a letter to your father describing your situation.
- Where is the group headed?
- Why do they end up spending their first night outdoors?
- In what village is the White Hart located?
- Why did the friar think that the White Hart might not be a good place to stay the night?
- Why was it fortunate that the travellers had food in their saddlebags?
- What plan did Robin overhear the two ruffians discussing?
- How was Robin able to foil their plans?
- Where did the travellers end up spending the rest of the night?
- What town had they reached by the fourth day?
- Using an atlas find what river flows through both this town and London?
- Describe what the travellers saw and experienced at the Wychwood Bec fair.
- Where did the travellers spend their first night after leaving the fair?
- Where according to John would they be able to spend the night while travelling through the forest?
- Who received the travellers in the Great Hall at Castle Lindsay?
- Why was Robin excused from his normal duties of serving at the high table?
- Who is D'Ath?
- What was the measure of success according to Brother Luke?
- What is Robin constructing in woodworking and why does he require a deer to finish his project?
- Why were there so few people gathered to eat in the Great Hall that evening?
- Where did Robin go swimming each day?
- What games did the young people play?
- Describe Alan-at-Gate.
- What news did Adam the Yeoman relay when he burst into the Hall.
- Why did the townspeople head toward the castle?
- Why were the inhabitants of the castle forced to send for outside help?
- Who does Adam the Yeoman think may be willing to come to their aid?
- Describe Robin's escape from the castle and his journey to John-go-in-the-Wynd's cottage.
- How did John-go-in-the-Wynd and Robin intend to enter the town?
- How were Robin and John able to get up to the shoemaker's house?
- How did John signal the others that it was time to attack the Welsh invaders?
- Why was Brother Luke teaching Robin to sing a carol?
- Describe Robin's feelings when he realized his parents were approaching the castle.
- How does the king reward Robin for his brave deeds?
- Explain the significance of Brother Luke's comment to Robin indicating that Robin had found the door in the wall.